Thursday, August 30, 2007

Who will wipe your tears?

I've never been much into Iranian pop music. Not that I have anything against it, but since I was a kid i had this passion for the "foreign" songs my mom listened to, and so my musical path kinda went in a different direction. But still there are a couple of Iranian pop singers that I like alot. One is Ebi. He is a very popular singer, with lots of popular songs. He also is a very nice and easygoing person. In his concerts he mixes with the crowd, approaches them and uses them as his chorus. Ebi was in concert in Chicago last night.

What a concert! What a night! My vocal cords are scratched. My ears are clogged. My calf muscles cramped from standing and dancing for hours on high heels! My eyes are red from the long night drive back home. But yet my mind still feels the content from its last night climax.

He has a unique voice. Strong and manly, but yet soft. Having him in in flesh and blood, singing the high notes that would have my heart beat was at first unbelievable, and then wonderful. I had never been to a concert where i could sing along most of the songs. And it is an amazing experience, the lyrics march through your brain like a movies subtitles, your lips pronounce the words, but your ears only hear them in the singers voice.

And then there is the magic of your mother tongue. No matter how fond of foreign music you are, still the words in your own language bear a heavier weight. You hear the words and they get you back to a journey in your mind. Old and new memories. You remember speaking these words to a person yourself. Hearing them from someone. Having laughed with some. Sheding tears with others. Unless most your memories are also in another language, no foreign song could have this big of an impact on you. Another aspect of the Power of the lyrics.

One of Ebi's songs has such impact on me, more on the rainy part i'm afraid. When the concert was almost finished and i was thinking I got away with it, he sang it. Our song. I found my knees shaking. I had to sit down. Sat down I did, as far from my friends as i could. And i looked at him bringing the words back to life in high notes:

Who will wipe your tears,
in your nights of sorrow
Whose fingers will brush your hair,
when you don't have me anylonger
Whose shoulders will host your sobs yet again
whom will you blame
when stars don't shine in the sky
Who will stand by you,
even in the lonegst of the long nights
till the smile is back on your lips,
at the rise of the new dawn

To my own surprise I hold back my tears. I rejoiced the song and i cherished the memory of a lost friend, the one who named me Jeerjeerak:)

--------------------------------
P.S. to the previous post:
Ebi has a song called پشت ديوار شب Reading something like this: On the other side of the dark night wall is a path to his heart, where among the all good things he counts to happen there, is the lady-sun doing her eyebrows;)

P.S. to this one(!):
This was such a looooong post. I guess i'm off the hook of updating here for quite a while:)))

6 comments:

Nazy said...

Salam Jeerjeerak Jan.

What a sweet post. I love Ebi. I love that song and I have way too many memories of it to recount. I have seen him in concerts and he is amazing. And I was going to comment that "Posht-e-Divar-e-Shab" (if that's what it's called) is my happiest Ebi song! And then I saw the PS, and I get it. No, you are not off the hook! I await the next post impatiently. Thank you for the gift of Ebi today. I think I will go listen to him now!Be good azizam.

Anonymous said...

کی اشکاتو پاک میکنه
شبا که غصه داری
دست رو موهات کی میکشه
وقتی منو نداری
شونه ی کی مرحم هق هقت میشه دوباره
از کی بهونه میگیری شبای بی ستاره
...

Anonymous said...

Jeerjerak jan, Iam so jealous,i wish I could stay a bit longer and attend the concert. i live Ebi, vis voice reminds me of my highschool time in Iran, thoese wild but honest times. I actually met him and hang out with him in a after concert party in San Francisco once. He and googoosh are my only singer i listen in Iranian pop music

Anonymous said...

YEah I guess I should spell checked before pubish....
Mehran

A Fly on the Wall said...

ok this is embarrassing - i have no idea who ebi is :-P i don't think i have heard any of his songs!!!

jeerjeerak said...

Nazy jan, Ebi is great in his concerts. At some point that night he literally dropped down on the stage, showing he would die for his fans!

AmirArsalan jan, thanks for the lyrics. Now everybody can criticize my free translation of it;)

Mehran jan, yep, your space was really empty there! Next time, please include a weekend in your trip schedule;)

Fly jan, my child, you left Iran too young to know Ebi. Look at this clip to get a feeling how his concert was:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDQehsan2R8