Saturday, August 04, 2007

Shahrokh Moshkin Ghalam's Dance

Dancing is my new obsession. This summer I have done no work on my thesis, and I've learnt 4 new dances! While blog-browsing today I came across this clip, and it took my breath away. See for yourself. (It's well worth the 8 minutes of your time, trust me!)

I had seen the Turkish version of Sufi Whirling before, but this is way beyond that. Unbelievably beautiful. It brought tears to my eyes watching it the first time. I never could have imagined someone could dance this beautifully to an Iranian traditional music piece. His name is Shahrokh Moshkin Ghalam, an Iranian artist living in France. Here's his website in French (For me it might as well be in Chinese! ). And for those of you lucky people who live in California or Canada, he apparently has a tour coming up.

P.S. More info here.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, if you really like it that much come and see it here. you have many friends here

jeerjeerak said...

Thanks:) Let me know if you got more info on this.

Anonymous said...

Sure do.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you like the clip Jeerjeerak Jan. Did you see the other clips? He is amazing. And another thing about him is that he is an amazing speaker. I have seen him in interviews, and I have seldom seen any Iranian artists speak such perfect and interesting Farsi, eloquent, elegant, and deeply meaningful. He is an actor through and through, trained by some of the best drama teachers in the world. Of course, his being handsome does not hurt at all! Be good azizam.

Ali said...

Jeerjeerak jaan,

I will totally appreciate if you send me my recent posts. Please email them to manintexas@gmail.com

Best,

Ali

jeerjeerak said...

Nazi jaan, please write a big fat post after the performance in SF. That might ease my dissappointment of not being able to see his dance!

Reza Mahani said...

nice concept, but is there a story behind the dance, you imagine?

i watched the reality show, "so you think you can dance" this summer on Fox :) , and the pieces of "modern" dance changed my evaluation of dance styles completely, they were fantastic!!!

also, if you are into ballroom, then look for public TV program on ballroom competition, it is very nice,

The Restless Wind said...

Wow, This was absolutly beautilful. Thanks for sharing.

jeerjeerak said...

Saba jan, i'm glad you liked it. You are a blogger too, right?