Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Motherland


I went out to buy some bread. The weather outside was delightful. I didn't want to drive back home. It was one of those nights that you like to just take a long walk with a friend and let the calm of the dark velvety sky and the singing of jeerjeeraks(!) soak into you. I thought if i were in Iran i would call up this and that friend and we would go to Park-Jamshidiye... And thus the thoughts came back to me again. The homeland. Where your school buddies whom you can call up late in the evening are.

My dear friend Nazy has asked me to write about "Vatan". For a person like me, who is hanging in between two countries, this is a sensitive topic to write about. I now can't name either of these two counties as a land i belong to. I was born and raised in Iran. If I like it or not, my mindset has formed there. My values, my insights, my way of living.

However there were many things about Iran that made me feel like a cast away there. Things that don't happen to you in US. In Iran, your daily encounters are often tough and hurtful. People are often harsh to you, the doorman, the taxi drivers, the bank clerk, the secratary, the sales associate, ... . You have no space there, any minutes you should expect anybody to come and confront you for how you walk, how you talk, how you are. In Iran you grow up to learn how to hide your thoughts, how to fade into the crowd, how to suppress your opinion. In Iran you're robbed out of excitements, out of laughs, out of colors, out of music and out of silly small things that make a package called youth.

Perhaps these feelings are personal, perhaps now the kids in iran experience a happier life. Perhaps iran is "nice"r since the gloomy day i left it. But i can't let go of the feeling that the people i see around me here, are more like me. I feel less of a cast aways in this country that is not my homeland.

6 comments:

Helen said...

Nice Blog :)

Nazy said...

Jeer Jan: Thanks so much for accepting my invitation. Your post is poignant and heartfelt. Though my own experiences with Iran are somewhat different, I have to remind myself that I saw Iran again as a middle-aged adult and I didn't have to grow up as a defenseless child or a vulnerable teenager in today's Iran. You and your generation have experienced feelings which sway you a certain way. The only piece of dubious wisdom I can add is that as you grow older and gain more experiences in life, your take on the whole issue of "motherland" and Iran in particular, will change and re-adjust. I couldn't understand my mother until I became a mother myself, and I couldn't understand Iran until I stayed away from it for many years first, and then lived inside it again for many more. I have a much more poitive view of it today than I did when I was younger.

Thanks again my friend. Be good Janam.

Anonymous said...

excellent post

Anonymous said...

it actually seems reasonable to use homeland (vs. motherland) here . the basic thesis here is if the homeland and motherland can be different. the given is that they are usually the same. basicaly it makes sense to use homeland in contrast to motherland. i guess i just hate when republicans use the language to brain wash people, so i have got this aversian to their vocabulary. they use homeland in contrast to "other lands" that they believe is also theirs.

Anonymous said...

Execellent post jeerjeerak jan
we have many commen point of view
motherland is one of dearest and holies things in our life but in the same time- unfortunately- is very difficult to tolerate it!!
bayramali

jeerjeerak said...

Well, homeland is indeed a "heavy"er word. You are born to a motherland, but you have some say about your homeland... Similar the concept of your "residence" as opposed to your "home".