Friday, April 04, 2008

Kronos Quartet


Tonight, Kronos Quartet came to U of I. The performance was "different" and i liked it. I knew that they have a modern/minimalistic approach to music, but i was pleasantly surprised to see the theatrical edge they had incorporated in their performance. In one piece for example, the four were playing some music and when they turned their note pages in front of them (which was a pronounced theatrical act), the music would change drastically to another totally different genre! Or in another piece they were using the non-instrumental components they had set on the 4 corners of the stage to create a new twist, that included an old iron stove, pipes and metal pieces David Harrington was hammering, something like a chain saw the young guy was using, some pots and pans and something like a vacuume cleaner at the back! The set design and the light effects added a real "different" taste to the performance . In the second half of the program they performed some pieces inspired by middle eastern traditional music, Iran, Iraq, India and Balkans. That was good too.

5 comments:

Reza Mahani said...

I am jealuous, i love kronos music

Unknown said...

I'd rather hear the sound of a vacuum cleaner in a performance than at my house! :D

Esfand` said...

n I missed the kronos quartet,...

:( in fact I also had planned to go for that Just Desserts thing, which I also missed, was not feeling well, but then my friend called for this india nite, and I couldnt resist....

Thanks for visiting my blog!! :)

Lmira said...

Don't worry for me honey :) I'm Ok, but somethings sum up every once in a while: sad but true! this is the way it goes...
LUV :*

Anonymous said...

Hellowwwwwwww :) It's 10th day since you have written something! Where are you?