Sunday, March 23, 2008

Jeer's Picture Chronicle of New York

New York's photo chronicle


My first photo of New York, in route to the hotel from La Guardia airport.

From the observation deck at the top of the Rockefler Center (Top of the Rock). You see the Empire State building on the back.

From the observation deck at the top of the Rockefler Center (Top of the Rock). You see the view of the Cental Park.

The crystal star they put on top of the New York's Christmas tree each year. The tree is set in the plaza of the Rockefeller Center.

In front of the United Nations, Visitors Center.

Iran's gift to the United Nations. The portrait of the secratary generals of the UN woven in silk carpets.

UN, "Do unto others what you would have them do onto you."

Iran's section in the Metropolitan meuseum. It's not recognized by the name"Iran" there, it is "Near Eastern" section.

The writting on the wall towards the left reads:
"By the grce of Ahura Mazda, I built this palace... And i built it secure and beautiful and adequate."
Darius I 522-486 B.C.

Cup with a frieze of gazelles, Gold. Northwestern Iran, Caspian region, Early 1st millenium B.C.
Look how beautifully the gazelles' head is tilted out of the cup.


This staute used to be inside (?) World Trade Center towers. They have temporarily put it here and after they reconstruct the towers, it is going to be placed in front of the new buildings as is.


View of the city from top of the rocks in the Central Park. Manhattan is standing on top of big rocks. They need to explode these rocks whenever they want to make foundations for a building.


Times Square, past midnight. This is where the magic of New York overwhelms you. I stood there in the cold windy night, amazed for quite a while.

Chocolate is better in color, or in the robe! M&M store in Times square.
I didn't get a chance to see the statue of liberty. It was too cold and rainy and i was short of time.


Trees on the walls of the Trump building in Manhattan.

The first woman wearing a chador-meshki!!!;)

Do you know what "Amazon" mean? Amazons were the female warriors in ancient Greek army.


NYC is expensive! We paid 15 bucks for this tiny piece of cake.

I have to admit, in Manhattan you can find cheap food too. I had a very tasty lamb gyro with saffron rice and for $3:50. It was halal meat!

Beautiful Hyacinth flower, in my good friend's Haftsin. Also in Manhattan:)

13 comments:

Esfand` said...

wow!
Seems like you had some fun, my trip was so different :( we were always running like crazy, I think next time I shud try it like this, atleast I shud stand at one place for more than 5 minutes :P coz this time I didnt even do this ....

nice picture essay!! :) I must visit these places next time I am NYC

Tameshk said...

Jeerjeerak Joonam
Your photo journal is very interesting. I like your first photo very much.

Behdokht said...

Thanks for sharing these photos, I really enjoyed one by one. Also I should mention I'm one of your blog fans which have been silent... but not any more ;).

Anonymous said...

pretty pictures from an amazing city. Thank you. I gotta visit NYC.

Anonymous said...

Nice photos...
I've seen that knoted gun in other places, one was in Malmo(Sweden) another one was in europe as well but I can not remember clearly now...

Tameshk said...

Jeerjeerak Joonam
I found out the name of that root that we saw in New York. It is called
Mandrake Root; it is very poisonous and has been used in magics.

jeerjeerak said...

To Tameshk: in the Pan's Labyrinth, they said that root has "life" essence in it.

Anonymous said...

They would have totally given you that piece of cake for free in Texas! Oh no sorry! They would have paid you 15 bucks to eat it in Texas ;)

Nazy said...

Salam Jeer Jan!

What great pictures and what a good time you seem to have had! Hee Hee, I was just thinking to myself: "I have such romantic memories of New York!" I then laughed to myself thinking they couldn't be really "romantic" anymore, as the man with whom those memories were made is a memory himself now! I atteneded a meeting at the United Nations with a UN Ambassador! I have seen those views from the Empire State Building and also the World Trade Center (that was a romantic memory which became a sad memory for me first, after 9/11).

I loved the way your eyes saw New York. Thank you for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

awesome , what a nice photos (hala hey del amro besoozon :) , I like them especially them that you took in museum , you know , some times I think these treasures should be in their mother land but when I remember what happens to the rest of them in our country , I would be persuaded that they should be protected by people who know their real value

Anonymous said...

Nice recount jeerjeerak!

Farshad F said...

do not worry for not visiting the statue of liberty; they are making a better one in Baghdad right now :)

Majaz said...

Nice pictures.