Friday, June 01, 2007

West Express diaries, season finale!

I want to finish these diaries before I go back home. So let's see if we can finish it in this post...
We passed four national parks: Zion, Grand Canyon, Death valley, and Yosemite. Each spectacular in its own way.

Red, red, red, Zion National Park

Zion made a big impression on me, perhaps because it was the first national park we visited, or perhaps because of the color red, I like red :) But seriously it was beautiful. Imagine a road passing along a valley surrounded by red stone mountains with green dots on them, add to the view a beautiful blue sky with some happy white cloads in it. Here are some pictures. The funny thing was that the asphalt on the road was also red!









The grand Grand Canyon
After the Zion park, we drove along the road in the middle of the Indians' land to get to the grand canyon national park. The Grand Canyon truly deserves the word "grand". Standing on the top looking at it, you can't help but wonder how Grand is the nature, and how small the man who claims himself its master.
Picking a photo to post here is a challenging task cause none of my shots could capture the grandness i'm talking about, so I'll pass.

Las Vegas
Well, what do i say about Las Vegas? You know it all! The things I didn't know about before was that you're allowed to drink in public. At nights the whole city sidewalks are like a big pub. People walk freely with bottle of beers in their hands. The other weird thing was the men distributing nude flyers in the street, and so so many of them. the funny thing is that these people also offer the pictures to the men walking hand in hand with their significant others! Would you dare taking one, if you are a man in such situation?;-)

And we drove along the Hoover dam past midnight in our way to Vegas, I regret that I didn't get a chance to go back in daylight to take a better look.

Dipping in Death Valley!
Dip was a new word to me when I first come to US. The first time the word came to my attention was with the expression "double dipping" in a Seinfeld episode. Just recently when I adopted dancing I came across with the other meaning of "dipping": when a couple dance, the dip is when the lady bends backwards, with the gentleman's hand supporting her move. Death valley national park added one more meaning to "dip". Death valley is a dessert surrounded by mountains on the far. the road passes in the middle of the sandy dessert, and so often there are inward bumps in the road. In the places the layers of sand beneath the road has gone down making dips in the road. It's like driving your car along a roller coaster kinda road. It was a fun drive!

The delish Macaroons of the Mammoth lake
I can't go on to Yosemite without mentioning this. On our way to Yosemite we stopped for the night in Mammoth lake. It's a popular sky resort, so in the off season the business was slow and the town looked empty, but no regrets, cause we discovered a very good European style bakery in town with the most decedents pastries and the absolute best macaroons i had ever had. Here's the picture of the place. If you ever got to go there, check that out and bring me some too!





And finally the Yosemite, and me!

2 comments:

A Fly on the Wall said...

such beautiful pics - so you are still on the road?
I like your commentary very much actuually - can you travel some more and tell me about it? :-)

Anonymous said...

bah bah!
safarnameye mosavar ba akse nevisandeh :)
nice sunglasses!

man o babak
overman.persianblog.com