Tuesday, February 10, 2009

National Acrobats of China

I went to a performance of National Acrobats of China.Their performance was fascinating. You think watching gymnastics in olympics is fun? i suggest you once go to a Chinese acrobat performance to see what human body can do. One of the girls there, i swear, had no skeleton in her body! And the men too: from now on, i will totally believe whatever unbelievable move i see in an asian martial arts movie!It was a magnificent show of the beauty and perfection of human body and skill.

Tonight' performance reminded me of an old fainted memory. I was 7 or 8 years old, a Chinese acrobat team came to Tehran for a performance, and my mom took me and my brother to watch them. This was a huge thing to the kid that i was, in those gray days of war and rigidity. I remember their performance included a human pyramid, the cyclists, and the dragon dance. After the show, we were waiting alongside the street for my dad to come and take us home. It took a while, and the Chinese acrobat team members packed up and got into their charter bus that was waiting right there. I started to wave for them, and they waved back! I was happy that i can have a somewhat closer encounter with those magnificent men (no female performers of course, in the islamic revolutionary environment at that time!) Anyways, the exchange of wavings and smiles went on for a while and then one of the Chinese acrobats got out of the bus and came to me, and gave me a small medallion/pin of their team. It was a green and gold Dragon head. Oh God, i was on clouds! I kept that pin for long, it was among one of my most precious possessions that i kept in my small collectors box. It should still be somewhere in my stuff, back home.

4 comments:

Reza Mahani said...

nice memory, thanks for sharing!

Esfand` said...

:D right in time!!
I will be there tonight.... once again, your post kept me aware of whats goign on around :D
Thanksss!!!!

Anonymous said...

:))
I have a similar memory with an Italian group when I was 9!
And your post reminded me of that!

Thanks for sharing...

P.S. Have fun Esfand!

Anonymous said...

Salam :)
I became sO happy when I saw your comment.
I wish we had similar groups by Iranians. I also saw a Chinese group about 4 years ago. That was interesting.

Cheers